Sunday, March 29, 2009

Biodegradable packaging


While browsing Bon Appetit's site this morning, I found an article about biodegradable fast food bags. You would think this would be a given. How can the bags not already be biodegradable? They are thin paper...not plastic. I did some research and found out that there were newspapers found intact at a NY landfill that were 50 years old. Hmmmm.... You have to wonder if it weren't for some unusual circumstances, because, when we used newspaper in the garden for mulch, it became part of the soil in 3 years time. Maybe they used thicker paper back in the day. Something to ponder, I guess.

One link leads to another and I found the compostable packaging that we had seen at a Heifer International Fair. Their clamshell containers look just like the plastic ones we see every day and they are fully compostable in about 3 months. They are the most innovative green product out there. Simply Amazing. I plan to use these in the cafe. I would be a fool not to!





No comments:

Post a Comment